In the World Travel Market 2010 Industry Report, 1,000 holiday travelers in the UK shared their planning process and to what extent they were influenced by social media.
- 36% of travelers surveyed said they used social media in planning their 2010 summer vacation.
- 24% said they would use social media in 2011, with another 28% saying that they might use it next year (a potential 52% of all surveyed travelers).
- Of the travelers that used social media, more than a third (35%) changed their choice of hotel.
- TripAdvisor was the number one influencer for 80% of travelers between the ages of 55-64 years old.
- Facebook was the number one influencer for 52% of travelers between the ages of 25-34 years old.
Conclusion: While social media is not the only determining factor for the surveyed set of travelers, it was influential to those who did use it. Also, many travelers are curious about social media and may rely on it for future travel plans.
World Travel Market 2010 Industry Report published by the World Travel Market in London.